Hints and Tips
HINTS AND TIPS FOR MEASURING FOR CURTAINS
Getting the right measurements for your curtains is easy, just follow our step by step guide
MEASURING THE WIDTH
- If you already have a pole or a track, then simply measure the width.
- If you still have to purchase the pole or track the follow the steps below:
Firstly using a steel tape measure, measure the width of the inside recess of the window. Write the measurement down.
Decide how much extra width you would like on either side, we recommend at least 20cm on either side for the following reasons;
Allow the curtain to fully open;
Prevent light seeping in on the sides;
To add a flair of décor to your room
FOR EXAMPLE: Width of window recess/opening =150 cm
Add on 20cm for either side = 40 cm
Total size of track or pole needed =190cm
You would then buy a 2m track or pole, you can either cut off the extra or leave the extra BUT make sure that you center the pole or track over your window.
MEASURING THE DROP(LENGTH) OF THE CURTAIN
Ready made curtains come in a Standard drop of 218cm and an extra length drop 250cm so it is important to decide where you want your curtains to end..
- You will need to determine which drop you want by either measuring the drop of your current pole or track or deciding how far above your window you want to place your track or pole.
- It has become very fashionable to place the track or the pole near to the ceiling to create the allure of having higher windows, If you do decide to do this you would more likely need to order the 250cm drop curtain , but we strongly advise you measure the length from the pole or track to the desired length on the floor to obtain the correct drop of curtain.
CURTAIN GATHERING GUIDE
While this topic is a matter of personal taste, here is an easy guide for you to follow:
- TAPED CURTAINS
- Multiply the width of the track by between 2.25 & 2.5 times (for a fuller look)
- FOR EXAMPLE: TAPED CURTAINS : Track = 200cm x 2.25 = 4.5m of curtaining. Then divide 5 by the width of curtain;
- Curtains is 230cm (2.3M):5m divide 2.3 = 1.95
- RESULT: you will need to order 2 drops.
- EYELET CURTAINS
- Multiply the width of the pole between 1.5 – 2 times (for a fuller look)
- FOR EXAMPLE: EYELET CURTAINS : Pole = 200cm x 1.5 = 3 m of eyelet
Curtains, then divide 3m by the width of the curtain:
Curtain is 230cm(2.3m): 3m divide by 2.3 = 1.3
- RESULT: You will need 2 curtains – in this example you would have a fuller look and you would also want to naturally have at least 2 curtains per window.
- GENERAL TIP: THE WIDER THE WINDOW THE MORE DROPS YOU WILL NEED.